Frequently Asked Questions

I know your address, but where is your office located?

The Office of Aeronautics is located in the Becker-Hansen Building immediately north of capital lake and the state capitol building. Enter the west front door and we are located on the second floor. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

If I have a complaint with an airline company, a complaint about baggage handling or a complaint about the service I have received from an airline, what help is available with these problems?

Sorry, our office can't assist you in complaint registration since airlines receive federal operating certification. However, we first suggest you call the airline with the time of flight, flight number, etc and discuss your complaint. If you feel they have not responded satisfactorily, you may call the Federal Consumer Affairs Division of the U.S. Department of Transportation in Washington, DC at 202-366-2220. Or you may go to the Aviation Consumer Protection Division website at http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer.

Where can I find the title for my aircraft?

The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) has a title search for owners of aircraft. You do not have to be a member of AOPA to use this service, but they do charge a fee. You may contact them at 1-800-654-7400. Or you may go to their web page at http://www.aopa.org.

Why do we need to register aircraft and why do I have to register?

Registration of Aircraft, ultralights, homebuilts, experimental, balloons, gliders, aerial spray aircraft and helicopters are specified in South Dakota Codified Law. Registrations of aircraft revenues are credited to the Aeronautics Trust Fund.

What is the original aircraft registration tax?

An original registration tax is (4) percent, based on the purchase price of the aircraft. However, for the initial registration of aircraft manufactured and used exclusively for agricultural spraying, crop dusting, seeding, fertilizing or defoliating purposes, the tax is (3) percent. The original registration fee of (4) or (3) percent is a one time only. Once the fee has been paid it never needs to be paid again no matter how many times the aircraft is sold.

I want to know if an aircraft has ever been previously registered in South Dakota?

Please call Amanda Olson at 605.773.3704 or Jennifer Boehm 605.773.4430.

What if my aircraft is out of annual? Does it have to be registered?

No, if it is out of annual and will not be flown during the year you do not need to register the aircraft until such time it becomes airworthy.

I just moved to South Dakota or just purchased an aircraft, how long do I have to register?

30 days. You may contact us to have state aircraft registration mailed to you or to download the various types of aircraft registration forms within this aviation home page.

Who do I contact for information on aviation accidents?

The Office of Aeronautics does not investigate accidents. The Rapid City FAA Flight Standards District Office at 605-737-3050 will be a local point of contact for accidents or the National Transportation Safety Board at 1-800-877-6799.

blank space