The South Dakota Department of Transportation has hired Cambridge Systematics and Civil Design, Inc to create a State Rail Plan for State of South Dakota.
The 2014 South Dakota State Rail Plan will address a broad spectrum of rail issues, including identification of the State's freight and passenger rail objectives and plans, an inventory of the rail system's transportation infrastructure, analysis of rail-related economic, safety and environmental impacts, articulation of the State's policies governing investment in both passenger and freight rail (particularly when this involves cooperative investment in privately owned elements of the rail system), and establishment of a long-range investment program and policies for current and future passenger and freight rail infrastructure throughout the State.
In accordance with FRA guidance the State Rail Plan will identify and outline 5- and 20-year plans and set the stage for a continuation of all of the work underway across the State. It is anticipated that the 5-year plan (2019) will identify specific projects, whereas the 20-year program will identify some projects already on rail stakeholder radars, but will primarily focus on programmatic recommendations. The SRP will adhere to any state rail planning guidance to be issued by the FRA during the development timeframe, in addition to PRIIA and other relevant guidance.
Throughout the State Rail Plan development process the Advisory Committee will hear from various industry stakeholders including freight and passenger rail owners and operators, governmental and non-governmental entities (including municipalities), the general public, elected officials, and interest groups will be consulted and coordinated with in order to produce a long-range strategic rail plan that fosters growth throughout the State's rail network. The final product will be a document that SDDOT will utilize to spur economic activity and to prioritize numerous advancements in the State's rail transportation network.
Stakeholders Public Meetings
Handouts will be available at the Stakeholders meetings.
- November 17th 5:00 pm - Sioux Falls (SDDOT Building - 5316 W. 60th Street)
- November 18th 8:00 am - Sioux Falls (SDDOT Building - 5316 W. 60th Street)
- November 18th 5:00 pm - Yankton (SDDOT Building - 1306 W. 31st Street)
- November 19th 5:00 pm - Aberdeen (Ramkota - 1400 8th Avenue NW)
- November 20th 5:00 pm - Pierre (SDDOT Building - 700 E. Broadway Avenue)
- November 21st 6:00 pm(mtn time)- Rapid City (SDDOT Building - 2300 Eglin Street)
State Rail Plan Presentation
Member - Organization/Company - City
- Carey Bretsch, Civil Design, Inc., Brookings
- Jeff Burkett, AMCOL International, Spearfish
- Jerry Cope, Dakota Mill & Grain, Rapid City
- Gary Doering, RRA/SD RR Board, Cavour
- Matt Konenkamp, Governor's Office, Pierre
- Luke Kraft, Truss Pro Inc, Britton
- Toby Morris, Northland Securities, Pierre
- Dave Omdahl, SD Senator of District 11, Sioux Falls
- Brad Remmich, SD DOT, Pierre
- Lisa Richardson, South Dakota Corn Growers Association, Sioux Falls
- James Schaefer, Representative of District 26B, Kennebec
- Ralph Schmidt, Sisseton Milbank Railway, Milbank
Advisory Committee Meetings
October 9, 2013
February 12, 2014
July 9, 2014
You can submit your comments concerning the South Dakota State Rail Plan 2014 to S.D. D.O.T. Air, Rail & Transit, Program Manager at: Bruce.Lindholm@state.sd.us
Draft of Chapters - Coming Soon
1997 State Rail Plan