Interstate 90 Exit 14 - Spearfish
Projects: IM 0901(0162)14, P 014A(11)8, & 2016-02 ; PCN 020U, 0217, & X03K; Lawrence County
Location: Interstate 90 Exit 14 at the US Highway 14A Interchange in Spearfish.
Improvement Type: Interchange Reconstruction
The purpose of the project is to replace the existing I-90 Exit 14 Interchange in Spearfish, South Dakota with a new single point interchange to improve traffic flow, improve access, and increase safety.
Construction Update (January 27, 2017):
Traffic was switched into the new eastbound lanes on Colorado Blvd on December 21, 2016. Traffic on 27th St started utilizing the new bridge on January 11, 2017. The current traffic configuration will remain unchanged for the remainder of the winter.
Work will progress through the winter months (as weather permits) with the demolition of the old bridge, demolition of the old 27th St, construction of the new ramps, and other miscellaneous work.
Traffic configuration for construction on Colorado Blvd and 27th St after the Rally
Black Hills Channel Video Update: Youtube
Phases 1, 2A, and 2B will be constructed prior to the Rally.
Thank you for your patience and attention when traveling through the project.
Weekly Project Meetings are open to the Public and are every Thursday at 2 p.m. in the Hudson Hall (Room C), 222 W Hudson St, Spearfish, SD.
- 3-D Rendering
- Mosaic Phases 1, 2A, 2B - April 4 to Aug. 3, 2016
- Mosaic Phases 2C - Aug. 15 to Nov. 10, 2016
- Winter Restriction - Nov. 11, 2016 to April 2, 2017
- Mosaic Phases 3A - April 3, 2017 to Aug. 2, 2017
- Sturgis Rally Restriction - Aug. 3 to Aug. 13, 2017
- Mosaic Phases 3B, 3C, 4Aug. 14, 2017 to Nov. 9, 2017
- Winter Restriction - Nov. 10, 2017 to April 1, 2018
- Any remaining work - April 2, 2018 to June 1, 2018
PHOTOS hover over photo & use arrows to scroll through
Time Lapse Videos
Construction activities include:
- Replacing the existing bridge with a single point interchange over I-90 including new on and off ramps (similar to the interchange at Exit 61, Elk Vale Road in Rapid City), lowering the interstate for improved vertical clearance, and new concrete pavement
- Realigning 27th Street to the east so that it lines up with itself at the south end
- Realigning Highway 14A/Colorado Blvd. to the north
- Installing raised medians to control access
- Installing new traffic signals at 27th Street and Highway 14A/Colorado Blvd.
- Installing new traffic signals at 27th Street and 1st Avenue
- Pedestrian access will be improved by installing sidewalk on the west side of the bridge and along the west side of 27th Street to the north, with connection to the bike path
- In conjunction with this project, the City of Spearfish is also making utilities upgrades including water main improvements, sewer manhole adjustments, and adding sidewalk to the south side of 1st Avenue between 27th Street and the entrance to 2735 1st Avenue (Sierra Design Signs, Anytime Fitness, Hibbett Sports, Pretty Nails, Verizon, and Maurice's)
The overall completion date of this project is June 1, 2018. Heavy Constructors, Inc., of Rapid City is the prime contractor on this $28 million project.