Project: U.S. 16 (Hell Canyon) Black Hills
Motorists are encouraged to visit www.safetravelusa.com or dial 511 for current information about South Dakota and Wyoming Road Construction and Conditions.
US 16 between Custer, SD and Newcastle, WY is currently under construction in two separate locations.
In South Dakota, asphalt pavement is complete within the limits of Jewel Cave National Monument, 11 miles west of Custer and 20 miles east of Newcastle, WY. Remaining work includes guardrail installation and general cleanup. Delays should be minimal.
US 16 and Jewel Cave National Monument will remain open throughout the duration of this project.
In Wyoming, for 8.5 miles between Newcastle and the South Dakota border, the highway is being widened. Base operations are ongoing. Paving should start the week of September 22. The speed limit through the project is 45 mph. There are numerous flaggers throughout the project. Driving surfaces are gravel and rough. The Stockade Beaver Creek bridge is restricted to single lane traffic. There is an 11-foot width restriction in effect for the entire project. Travelers should allow an additional 20 minutes to get through the project.
The direct route on US 16 from Custer, SD to Newcastle, WY is 37.1 miles
Optional routes from Custer to Newcastle are as follows:
OPTION 1 - 94.4 miles - map
- South on US 385 to Pringle - 11.5 miles
- South on SD 89 - 15.4 miles
- West on US 18 - 34.2 miles
- North on US 85 - 33.3 miles
Newcastle to Custer
- South on US 85 - 33.3 miles
- East on US 18 - 34.2 miles
- North on SD 89 to Pringle - 15.4 miles
- North on US 385 - 11.5 miles
OPTION 2 - 105.8 miles - map
- East on US 16/385 - 17.6 miles
- North on US 385 to Lead/Deadwood - 36.5 miles
- 3. South on US 85 - 51.7 miles
Newcastle to Custer
- North on US 85 to Lead/Deadwood - 51.7 miles
- South on US 385 - 36.5 miles
- West on US 16/385 - 17.6 miles
Routes from Custer, SD and Newcastle, WY to Sturgis, SD - map